Thursday, August 9, 2007

All I want is an accurate feed!


I mentioned it once before in my blog that I am getting conflicting chart data when comparing Quote Tracker (using Ameritrade feed) against eTrade.

In that post, I pointed the finger at Ameritrade, accusing Ameritrade's feed was wrong. One of my 3 readers left me a comment, questioning how I came to that conclusion? I didn't document enough evidence to support my accusation! Since then, I haven't cross referenced any chart until today.

I did not go to work today and I'm trading from home. Whenever I'm trading from home, I like to run my eTrade console, in addition to the QT, to practice my paper trades.

I zoomed in on RFMD this morning. I plotted a Pivot Point/Support right at $6.00. So I thought if the prices break through the $6 barrier, we/I may have a setup there. At that moment, my QT shows that my Day-Low for RFMD was $6.02. But when I look over to eTrade, the Day-Low was $6.00!!

What the hell!!!?? Is it that difficult to just give me a MATCHING DAY-LOW of a stock???? And I'm only less than 2 hours into the market! How difficult could that be?

Discouraged and upset... I decided to do some research and this is what I've found:

Setup: 5min Candle
Comparison: On the first 12 candles


eTrade


  • Since this is a steaming data feed, I'm going use this graph as a baseline for comparison (I no long know which feed/chart/company/site is correct anymore! I just need to pick up and use it for comparison.)

Yahoo



  • I was NOT able to find 1 single identical candle between eTrade and Yahoo during the first 12 candles
  • They are ALL different between the 2 charts!!!
www.MarketWatch.com


  • MarketWatch only showed 4 bars with discrepancies when compare to the eTrade's chart
  • The good news is, the first 4 bars are identical
  • The 5th bar showed an Upper shadow on MarketWatch, but a Lower shadow on eTrade instead
  • The 6th bar is a long Hammer with no Upper shadow on Marketwatch, but Upper shadow exists in eTrade
TD Ameritrade (Website)

  • Not a single identical bar between Ameritrade, eTrade, and Yahoo!
  • Better yet, just compare the 1st bar and you'll see that the Opening Price of the day from Ameritrade is way 'different' from eTrdae and Yahoo
  • I suspect that this chart is time-shifted, or something, because the 6th bar falls at the 10am x-axis, while all the charts has the 7th bar that falls on the 10am x-axis
  • Looking at this chart left me 'speechless'! (Actually, I said 'what the hell?'... and then went speechless.)
QuoteTracker (with Ameritrade Feed)

  • Strangely, my QT (w/ Ameritrade feed) chart is quite different from the Ameritrade Web chart, as you can tell my just looking at the first bar
  • The first 4 bars were in-sync with the eTrade chart
  • But the 6th bar is where the impact is! By 10:05am, the Day Low for RFMD is at $6.00, formed by the low of the 6th bar, but QT shows that the Opening Bar low, is still the Day-Low!
  • And from the 6th bar onward, all the bars were different between QT and eTrade

Comments
I no longer know which feed/chart is right/wrong anymore! I never thought that getting a matching chart on the same stock and timeframe between different platform/site could be so difficult! I am only a newbie who is just trying to learn daytrading. I shouldn't have to worry about the integrity of my data. After all, these data are provided by some very well known companies. I do not know what to do now. Shall I continue to practice my trading using the same feed? Or is it pointless now because the set-up that I based my entry/exist decisions on, are no longer real?

If my readers have any suggestion or recommendation, I would lik to hear from you. Because right now, I feel very discouraged and lost! :-(


Updates
(@ 9:11pm EST)
Mom, look what I've found! A Pepsi (PEP) that shows different prices!

The first chart below supposed to be the historical chart on PEP as of Day-close today. According to this first chart, the closing price of PEP is just a little bit under $69.50



This chart below is today's (1day, 10mins) chart of PEP. It shows that the closing prices is $68.50!!! I've check MarketWatch.com and the closing matches this 1day chart below.

1 comment:

  1. The only RFMD chart that matches my Esignal chart is the Marketwatch chart, which I believe is BigCharts.com. Also matches stockcharts.com

    Etrade charts are NG. I quit them years ago because of this frustration. QT also never match Esignal. Check comments from NoGReedNoFear on OONR7 blog a few days back re: best data feed for QT. No comment on TD AMTD but that chart looks really bad.

    Due to the high volatility of recent days, the closing price problem is wide spread. Things should get back to normal on lower volume days.

    ReplyDelete